Sunday, October 25, 2020

Aquilus Character Class Name Generator

Here is a character class generator I've developed for my setting Aquilus

I'm especially interested in how language can drive inspiration for RPG content. Firstly, come up with the name of something you might find in your world or campaign, then determine what its characteristics and properties are. Chris McDowall – the writer of Electric Bastionland – has a blog post about this technique which he calls Spark Tables, "taking two results and smashing them together for inspiration." The results can be counter-intuitive or even absurd, but they're often flavorful and stimulate the imagination.

In the generator below, I firstly fed in around 1200 character classes collated from sources including RPG wikis, indexes, rule-sets, etc. I then fed in hundred of adjectives. The first result generates an adjective (and occasional noun) followed by a class. The second generates two different character classes put together, both results offering thousands of possible combinations. 

I'm currently working on several other generators for elements such as spells, magic items, landmarks, encounters, and monsters, which I'll share in due course.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment